We now rank cities that have one team, which gets a little easier, since well, they actually have a team to help with the rankings. One quick disclaimer: I did not include the Canadian cities that have only one team as the likelihood of them getting another team isn't very high and I was unable to convert to the metric system to figure out how many teams they each actually had. But, if I had to rank the Canadian cities with one team, it would be: Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and then Ottawa. Commence complaining you greasy Canadians. Onto the US cities with one team (These rankings consider their current teams, the actual city itself and whether or not they deserve another team):
1. Portland (NBA-Trailblazers): There is a crazy mix going on here between the tree hugger's and the NBA, a match made, in well, probably only the mind of deranged film maker. Not only that, they survived the Jail Blazer years where there were multiple marijuana arrests, Qyntel Woods staging dog fights in his home (before it became cool. He was a trendsetter that Qyntel), had Ruben Patterson (a registered sex offender), Rasheed Wallace suspended for threatening a referee, fights and sucker punches at practice and last but not least Damon Stoudamire being found with a pound of marijuana in his home. It was like a day in the life of a Cincinnati Bengal. These guys knew how to party. Those days are over and now they are one of the best young teams in the NBA. The reasons they are #1 on this list is because Portland is an awesome city and it is the only city on this list that absolutely deserves another team, a baseball team. That would be a perfect fit.
2. Orlando (NBA-Magic): They have an up and coming team with some young stars. One downfall it their name though, seriously, The Magic, you can do better than that. It doesn't really strike fear in anyone, "Oh, you showed me the 7 of Hearts. Wow. Now please step aside while I dunk on you". The city also showed its resilience during the food shortage years when Shaq was on the team. Should they get another team? Maybe. I think a football team could survive here (even maybe Jacksonville's)
3. San Antonio (NBA-Spurs): Lets see: Championships, check. Likable superstar, check. Team name that fits the area of the country it resides in, check. Great city, check. The only negative I can find is that they employed Bruce Bowen, who made up for his lack of talent by his ability to physically assault another player 18 times per possession. But the NBA calls that Defensive Player of the Year, though when someone breathes on Kobe, its a foul. That's why I don't like the NBA. Does San Antonio deserve another team? I don't think so. The logical one would be baseball, but as I stated in my last rankings, I think if Texas were to get another team, I would like it to be Austin.
4. Jacksonville (NFL-Jaguars): You probably are wondering why I would list them at 4 when I mentioned earlier that maybe this team would be better in Orlando. Well, my defense is: I don't know what you are talking about. Prove it. But, it is a good football city with passionate fans that can really get behind WR's who do coke in their cars in a super market parking lot. Do I think they should move, No. But if they moved, I would like it to be to Orlando. It makes sense in this economy and this short distance would cut down on moving costs. You wouldn't even need to hire a moving company, they could just gather everyone together for a weekend and make 23,402 trips using their current vehicles. Another team? No Way.
5. Columbus (NHL-Blue Jackets): The one thing I know about the NHL is that I don't know much about the NHL. This seems to be a good fit. A cold weather city with a high population. Perfect getting an NHL team so there wouldn't be any competing teams from Cincinnati or Cleveland. And to top it off, a rather bored population that is looking for something, anything, to do as evidenced by their 3,287 page long Wikipedia page about their city. Another team? No Way.
6. Salt Lake City (NBA-Jazz): Many people probably think they are too low on this list and that may be, as they have a winning franchise that is competitive every year. But they have two major strikes against them. One, they never changed their name after moving from New Orleans. Change it to anything, even that stupid Olympic mascot you had, but Salt Lake is so far removed from Jazz, it compares to Travis Henry and one of his kids in terms of how far removed it is. Second, is the, umm, shall we say the powdered sugar look to there teams. Even their black guys either look white (Deron Williams), or act white (Cowboy Lovin' Karl Malone). It is quite obvious. Should they have another team? I think another team could survive here, as long as it is an predominately white sport such as hockey, lacrosse or polo.
7. San Jose (NHL-Sharks): I will admit, I know nothing about San Jose or the Sharks, but they seem to have pretty good teams each year. Get knocked for having a hockey team in a city that hits 100 degrees regularly in the summer. Another team? Nope.
8. Sacramento (NBA-Kings): They are a fine fit for the city. But they take a major hit for employing a player who was only allowed to look at his wife the whole game thus causing 36 turnovers a half (Doug Christie). Another team: No.
9. Memphis (NBA-Grizzlies): Normally would be last on this list, but you will see why in a moment. Another team that needs to change its name from its original cities name as I am pretty sure grizzly bears are not very common in Memphis. Horrible team, horrible owner and horrible GM. That about says it. Another team: Nope.
10. Oklahoma City (NBA-Thunder): First I will say that this has nothing to do with the city and its ability to have a team, it has shown it can. But I can not support how they got their team. They basically lied, cheated, stole, back stabbed and swindled an entire city to steal their team and I can not condone that. Not the right way to go about getting a team (and from a great sports city such as Seattle, who to their credit, would not put up with the completely ridiculous and underhanded demands of their dickhead owner). Clay Bennett is one of the lowest forms of human beings. And that is why they are last.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment