RB's are the most difficult to project. You have time shares in the backfield, guys who seem to always get injured, guys who had a strong run at the end of last year, and of course, New England and Denver starting 14 running backs a year. Here are my rankings based on gut feelings and research...a lot of the earlier.
1. Adrian Peterson (MN): Is he the best running back in the NFL? Yes. Is he the best running back in the NFL for fantasy purposes? That is up for debate. But I am taking the guy who can break off a 70 yard run on 3rd and 4, when I am down by 12 points in my fantasy match up on Monday night in the 4th quarter.
2. Michael Turner (Atl): I think there is some regression here. They have to run Norwood and his 5.4 ypc, he had somewhere near 6438 carries last year and this is his second year as a feature back. But, they have added Gonzalez to take off some of the pressure and that should open some lanes.
3. Steve Slaton (Hou): This is my first leap of faith. 4.8 ypc and 1200 yds in his rookie season along with 50 receptions and he gets his starting QB back. To top it off he has no competition at RB. Seriously, I think they have 4 hobo's and Gary Coleman competing with him. Big year here.
4. Maurice Jones-Drew (Jack): I normally don't trust people with hyphenated last names (yes I am looking at you Courtney Thorne-Smith) but I believe in MJD - Fred Taylor. Skip the criticism about his height...he has performed well at this height for many years. Scouts are idiots with too many charts.
5. Brandon Jacobs (NYG): Is a beast and no longer has Derrick Ward. As long as Elisha doesn't camp out in the backfield playing with his Barbie's before he hands Jacobs the ball, he should be a stud #1 fantasy RB.
6. Frank Gore (SF): The only question is will they run after they are down by 14 in the first 10 minutes. But Gore gets his yards and is a beast. He is also motivated by not having to see his coach drop his pants at halftime, and trust me, that is a big motivation.
7. LaDianian Tomlinson (SD): What are you kidding me? LT at #7? Yep, I don't trust him anymore. He had 3.8 ypc last year. Reggie Bush had the same average. But he is still LT and Stay Classy San Diego, so he gets #7 on this list.
8. Chris Johnson (TN): The first back with a true dual back situation but you can't deny the fact that his 3rd string QB thinks himself to be a hall of famer so he must think he is a tunnel of celebriter...or something like that. Good team, good running game, he will be fine.
9. DeAngelo Williams (Car): Had 18 rushing TD's last year. His only strike is his counterpart in the backfield had 10. And only 13 of those were from them stealing the ball after a Delhomme interception.
10. Clinton Portis (Wash): Never been a huge fan until I realized that he has 8 personalities and that just has to confuse a defense when he comes out in a Toga. He always has stats though and with that passing game, they are going to need all 8 of them.
11. Derrick Ward (TB): Had 1000 yds last year as a #2 back. His competition is Earnest Graham and Omni Hatchback Williams. Enough said.
12. Matt Forte (Chi): I am not sold yet. He had a good year last year and now has a QB that doesn't resemble a drifter, only a surfer, which is an upgrade. Don't want him as my #1 RB.
13. Brian Westbrook (Phil): I think he just injured a calf while i was typing this, and not the animal type, that would be more up Tom Brady's line of work. His injuries are more frequent than Rosie O'Donnell's requests to the networks to do anything, anything on TV again (Seriously, I make people laugh...ok, person, laugh). Plus he has a hot shot rookie looking for carries.
14. Stephan Jackson (Stl): This ranking has nothing to do with his talent, he is a top 5 talent. It has more to do with the fact that I don't believe there is anyone on his offense that hasn't spent a significant amount of time in the Arena Football League.
15. Thomas Jones (NYJ): I have never been a big believer in Jones but last year he proved me wrong, for the first time in 7 years. The Jets have to run since they lost that frisky young gunslinger for a QB from last year.
16. Ryan Grant (GB): In all honesty, he should be higher, I just couldn't find a space for him. GB offense will be good. Oh wait, that's right...he went to Notre Dame...he could suck.
17. Donald Brown (Ind): Indy is going to have a good RB this year and I know it is not named Addai. Brown should flourish in Peyton's offense and be a strong rookie of the year candidate. And if he is not, I am sure the Manning family will have him properly disposed of.
18. MarShawn Lynch (Buff): Would be higher if it weren't for that crazy Roger Goodell and his whole against players committing crimes thing. If you take him as your #2, make sure to grab a #3 for the first 3 weeks. "Hey watch my show in VH1, it is totally real, not scripted at all, here let me do some sit ups for you....uggh...arggh"...ok got the microphone back from TO.
19. Darren McFadden (Oak): Another hunch here. Think he is going to try and pad his stats so he can somehow get out of Oakland. What he doesn't realize though is that he works for the undead. You can't escape them, I have tried.
20. Ronnie Brown (Mia): Little known fact is that the Wildcat was dreamed up in Laos by Ricky Williams. Good for 1000 yds and 8 tds. Not Ricky Williams mind you. I repeat, not Ricky Williams
Next Five: Marion Barber (too much competition for touches that don't include Jessica Simpson), Willis McGahee (inconsistent), Pierre Thomas (Reggie - No Talent Clown = Better Year From Him), LenDale White (Lost 30 pounds by not drinking tequila, who would have known), Larry Johnson (Larry is too lazy to write why.)
Dont Even Think About (until your 3rd RB): Hightower/Wells, Cedric Benson, Joseph Addai, Julius Jones
Other good Sleepers (Non Rookie): Jamal Lewis (no competition), The Denver or NE RB (if you know who is starting at draft time, move them up this list now, ....no seriously, now), Kevin Smith, Reggie Bush (could be a breakout year, like last year or the year before, just ask someone at his house in So Cal.), Parker/Mendenhall (I think Parker is done, and who hasn't needed a good Mendenhall for a sore throat), Darren "Verne Troyer" Sproles, Jonathan Stewart, Jerious Norwood.
The Rookies (In Order): Donald Brown, Knowshon Moreno, Lesean McCoy, Shonn Greene, Glen Coffee, Ian Johnson
Handcuffs: Ray Rice, Choice/Jones (in that order for Dallas), No call on the NE/Den handcuffs, Maurice Morris, Ricky Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, Leon Washington, Fargus/Bush (in that order for Oakland), Ladell Betts, Graham/Williams (in that order for TB).
Next up the WR...which should be interesting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment