Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Toughest Jobs in Sports

Before we get to my WR rankings, I was watching the PGA Championship this weekend, it got me thinking, what are the toughest jobs in sports. This could be on the field or off the field, as long as it is related to sports. And to lead things off, what started this whole process:

1. Golf Cameraman: You are basically asked to follow a 2-inch orb travelling at over 100 miles per hours. Sure the guys next to green recording the putts have it pretty easy "Hmmm, let me set the camera down in the line of the putt and go grab a hot dog", but the cameramen who have to record shots off the tee have it extremely difficult. Can you imagine the guy who loses Tiger Woods ball on any of his shots? I am pretty sure the network would have you shot, that is a lot of pressure, especially if it ends up being a hole in one, you might be hanged in a public forum.

2. Agent for an NFL Wide Receiver: They are the Diva's of any sport. They are like the first born child after another one is born...craving attention as they are not involved in every play. Sure we have the high profile guys like TO, Randy Moss and Chad Nobody O'Cinco, but you don't have to be good to be a diva. Prime examples are Freddie Mitchell and Chris Henry. Their thought process must go something like this "Hmmm, my actions on the field aren't getting me on TV, maybe I should do something illegal or make outrageous claims that will get me on TV, rather than practice". And these agents, who I normally despise, have to put up with them and defend them, not an easy job.

3. Umpires: I am not talking about the guys patrolling 1st, 2nd or 3rd base. But the guy behind the plate. On any close pitch, if you call it a strike, one team and fans hate you. If you call it a ball, the other teams hates you. Basically you are hated no matter what you do. I am pretty sure if I was an umpire, I would probably throw 30 people out each game, including fans. Or just call everything a strike to get the game over with sooner.

4. Marketing Director for the NHL: The NHL has fallen off the map in terms of major sports, I actually think soccer has passed it. How can you market this in the US? "Well, we are probably on Channel 2385 of your cable providers channel listing. And if you get a degree in the letter V, you might know some of the players." In all honesty, there are very few American players left in a sport trying to make it in America. This would be like trying to send a bunch of American bowlers from the PBA over to Laos...well, that would have a better chance of succeeding as bowlers are known for their outgoing personalities.

5. NBA Referees: It has to be difficult to remember which team you are suppose to call the fouls on each game.

6. Any basketball player who loves to play basketball and has to play with Kobe Bryant: It has to be difficult, to love the game of basketball and know that there is only a 0.007% chance you will see the ball on any possession. For those that voted for him for MVP, do you not watch the games? He is MSP - Most Selfish Player. He would rather go 1 on 5 than pass the ball to a teammate. This is why I stopped watching the NBA and watch College Basketball.

7. Long Snapper: You have one job and if you mess up...it is shown over and over again. Plus you get mauled by the other team as they think "Hmmm, this guy has other things to worry about, maybe I will beat him after the snap."

8. Beer salesman in the lower section of Yankee Stadium: "Umm, anyone here...anyone? Ohh there is someone, you want a Martini, shaken not stirred...OK, let me go get that guy."

No comments: