Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fantasy Football Preview - The QB's

This is a start of another series of posts. I am going to preview each position for fantasy football purposes. My qualifications? I have played fantasy football since the 80's. OK, so that is all of my qualifications. I rely heavily on my gut feelings but also do my share of research. Here are the QB's (these ranking assume Brett Favre wont un-retire in the next hour or so):

1. Drew Brees (NO): He is the only QB that deserves 1st round consideration. He is just that good. I don't know if he gets extra strength from his face beaver or what. He has 3 solid receivers and a decent (though vastly overrated and kind of a jerk) TE. He should have the full attention of Reggie Bush this year too since he doesn't have to carry around that no-talent Kim Kardashian on his back anymore.

2. Kurt Warner (AZ): Let's see. MVP? Yep. The top Receiver in the game? Yep. Two other top 25 WR's? Yep. No running game what-so-ever? Yep. Brenda Warner finally done with plastic surgery? Let's hope.

3. Peyton Manning (Indy): Some may say that he lost Harrison, well really, Harrison wasn't really there last year. He has Wayne, Clark and Gonzalez and what hopefully will be an improved running game. If he focuses on football and not 342 commercials per week, he should be fine.

4. Tom Brady (NE): You cannot deny that he may be the top QB in the league, just not in fantasy. There are questions about his comeback from injury, NE's running game, Randy Moss actually trying and him and Giselle actually creating a Super Baby that takes over the entire Eastern Seaboard.

5. Aaron Rodgers (GB): He was 6th in passer rating last year, He has Driver, Jennings and Nelson, a strong running game and shouldn't have Brett Favre calling him every Sunday morning at 3am asking him if his toilet is running. I see a good year from him.

6. Philip Rivers (SD): He has the best TE in the league, capable WR's and one of the best RB's. What's not to like. Well, looking at the roster, there are 2 Malcolm Floyd's on the roster and that could be confusing, especially if one can catch and the other drops them like he is TO.

7. Donovan Mcnabb (Philly): Has maybe his best talent around him ever, which may cause him to throw up. I can see a monster year from him as long as Westbrook doesn't pull a hammy by sitting.

8. Matt Hasselback (Seattle): Basically has gained TJ Housh, Branch and Burleson this year. That is a pretty good haul. The only problem is that defense's may drop 11 back since there is absolutely no running game.

9. Matt Ryan (Atlanta): Had an amazing rookie year and now you add Tony Gonzalez to the mix. Could be a sleeper top 5 QB. That is unless Arthur Blank goes on a drinking binge and forgets the whole Michael Vick saga and signs him.

10. Tony Romo (Dallas): Dallas fans should be excited about Jessica Simpson being gone. They shouldn't be excited about their receiving corp's other than Jason Witten. But a strong running game and somewhat capable receivers should give Romo top ten status.

11. Matt Schaub (Houston): He has Steve Slaton running the ball, Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels catching everything in sight. Let's hope he doesn't feel the pressure of Rex Grossman and Dan Orlovsky breathing down his neck...from about 50 yards away.

12. Carson Palmer (Cincy): This is assuming Chris Henry doesn't rob or shoot at anybody over the next month. Cincy is going to need to throw the ball and if freak show and Henry can remain focused, his talent should make for a good year.

13. Ben Roethlisberger (Pitt): Don't let this ranking fool you. He is one of the best QB's in the league. Fantasy wise, not so much. As long as he doesn't hang out with Jeff Reed, he should be a great spot starter.

14. Jake Delhomme (Carolina): Steve Smith. Running Game. Enough said.

15. Jay Cutler (Chicago): This has nothing to do with his talent. It has everything to do with the talent around him. There are no Brandon Marshall's or Eddie Royal's on this roster. In fact, I'm not sure they even have any WR's on the roster. Plus, as reported today, Urlacher thinks he is a...ummm...wuss. I would agree with that.

16. Trent Edwards (Buffalo): A good backup QB. Just make sure if you draft him that the week you need him is in the first half of the year before the Terrell Owens virus completely infects this team.

17. Marc Bulger (STL): I believe in his talent. I don't believe in his offensive line, TE, WR's. Those are kinda important.

18. Eli Manning (NYG): Look at his stats after Plaxico decided a loaded gun with the safety off in sweatpants was a good idea. And they lost Derrick Ward. The Giants are going to be good. I just don't think Eli will be. Oh, I'm sorry Eli, did that make you cry?

19. Sage Rosenfels (Minn): I think he could be a sleeper in this whole thing. He has to beat out T-Jack. He had one bad game that everyone still talks about, but his stats otherwise were pretty good. T-Jack had one good game and well...Gus Ferotte was better than him.

20. Matt Cassel (KC): Only reason he is here. Dwayne Bowe. I think his last season was a product of the system and having a good team. I don't think either of those exist here.

Others to keep your eye on: Joe Flacco (lost all his WR's), Jason Cambell (so-so even with good talent around him), Kyle Orton (yes, I said Kyle Orton), David Garrard (doesn't get many yards), and Brady Quinn (uggghh) or Derek Anderson.

Stay away from: Hill/Smith (SF), Stafford/Culpepper (Det), Pennington (Mia), Clemens/Sanchez (NYJ), Russell/Garcia (Oak), Collins/Young (Ten), Leftwich (TB).

RB's up next...

No comments: