OK, now that we are done with the sports cities that I like, lets get to the things in sports that I hate, and for no real apparent reason. It's hard to explain, but these things just really bug me. Let's get started, in no specific order:
1. Long and/or Belly Putters: They may be the same, though I would assume one only goes to your belly and the other extends into air traffic control airspace above the golf course. I don't understand why golfers can use any type of putter they want, but all of the other clubs in their bag, in general, have to have the same specifications. I would like for just once, a golfer to show up at the first tee using a Driver with a 2-foot wide head made out of Kryptonite and say, "Hey, he has that long putter, why can't I use this?" I also don't understand the benefit of the belly putter. Let's say you were out drinking the night before, which I am sure many of these golfers are, wouldn't your belly be a little expanded the next morning? And wouldn't the belly putter make it a little uncomfortable after a night of driking? I am pretty sure it is hard to putt around vomit. And for the long putter, unless it has a sword that can be pulled out of it to stab Sergio as he waggles for the 18th time over a 40 yard shot, what is the point?
2. Cycling Times: This really bugs me. How can it be that when someone wins a stage, they post his time, and then the next 64 cyclists times are listed as "Same Time". I have watched highlights of stage finishes before, and I am pretty sure 65 cyclists weren't crossing the 15 foot wide finish line at the same time. Unless maybe there was some kind of crash where they all flew off their bikes and flew across the finish line at the same time in mid-air, which would be awesome by the way. Maybe its a Euro/Metric conversion thing where they are using Kilo-Minutes to keep track of times, I don't know.
3. New Uniforms: Maybe I am old school or maybe it is just that all of the new uniforms that these marketing guys (who have no idea about sports) come up with completely suck. Lets just cover some of the main infractions where the old uniform is so vastly superior and the new ones are so horrible, that maybe they should force these teams to go back or be relocated.
NFL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Atlanta Falcons and any Houston team should have been forced to have the Oilers uniforms.
MLB: San Diego Padres, Houston Astros
NHL: Almost all of them but here are the worst, Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks.
NBA: No specific teams but the short shorts need to come back.
4. That the LPGA isn't more successful: I think I needed to put this one next after the short shorts comment. The only difference between the LPGA and the PGA is distance (in which the gap is closing each year). The women make the same great shots and the same great putts as the men do. And tell me this. Who would you rather see walking up to 18 with a chance to win? John Daly or Morgan Pressel? KJ Choi or Natalie Gulbis? Bubba Watson or Grace Park? In case you haven't noticed, this generation of LPGA players are freaking hot! And they are every bit as good as the PGA players in what makes you a complete player. If you are sitting on your couch saying, "That drive was only 285, not 300" then you are missing out (and how can you actually tell from your couch). Yes, Tiger is better than Annika, but one of them in one of the leagues has to be better, and I will say that Annika is better than any of the other PGA players during this time in terms of success and level of play. Did I mention they are also hot?
5. Today's NBA: Let's list the reasons: Prima Donna treatment, fouls not called fairly or consistently, playoffs seem scripted, most players are all about them and their stats, not the team. Wait, lets stop for a second. Am I talking about the NBA or Professional Wrestling. I make my point. I can't watch the NBA anymore but I love basketball. Watch College Basketball sometime if you want to see how basketball is played and used to be played by Russell, Bird, Magic and Jordan. Do you know in College Basketball, they pass the ball. But in the NBA this year they gave the MVP to someone who probably shot maybe 33% from the field on shots that weren't dunks and refused to pass to his teammates to instead go 1 on 5. My apologies to Chris Paul, who seems to get it. Yuck.
6. Not being allowed to touch the QB anymore if your a defender: "OMG, Tom Brady got hurt this year as a defensive player selfishly tried to make a play to stop a forward gain by tackling him so we must institute rules that if a defensive player comes within 5 yards of the QB he is suspended for 4 games". Let me ask you. Is the QB part of the football team? If your answer is no, then lets implement this rule as it will have no effect on the game. I understand they have rules in to protect the kicker and punter, but they are in defenseless positions (I don't think I have ever seen a kicker avoid the rush and still get the field goal off). And if you want to group your QB in with your kicking team, then let him go play WarCraft with them during practices.
I think these are the major ones, but there may be a second list in the future.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Things I Hate In Sports For No Real Apparent Reason
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment